Position Description – Chef
To develop, implement, and deliver a well well-crafted culinary program in cohesion with the BottleTaps Beer and Wine programs. To manage back-of-house (BOH) staff on a daily basis and oversee all kitchen and culinary operations.
To provide gracious hospitality and guidance through a memorable dining/drinking experience at BottleTaps for all guests of the taproom.
To manage labor, COGS, sales, and financials of the BOH portion of Bottletaps. To maintain and update menus as needed.
To effectively utilize the tools and resources provided to guide the Bottletaps BOH team on a path of consistent success.
To act as an ambassador of the taproom, to the community of Pleasanton, and the Tri-Valley area.
To consistently improve and refine the skillset and knowledge of all resources, equipment, and product pertaining to the position.
Take proper care of specific guest requests and accommodate them to the best of the taprooms ability while understanding restrictions set forth in the service guidebook.
- Menu development.
- Ingredient sourcing.
- BOH scheduling, labor, and payroll management.
- Ability to manage Labor and Food costs to plan
- Upkeep of current industry trends & product knowledge.
- Opening and/or closing duties of the restaurant as a whole.
- Weekly product inventory & purchasing
- Hiring and management of staff performance.
- Staff leadership in the kitchen specifically, and all outlets of the restaurant.
- Maintain a clean and organized kitchen and storage areas
- Day to day functions with vendors, purveyors, etc.
- Updating food menus to website
- Handling of staff concerns or incidents.
- Direct management of all kitchen staff.
- Successful and cordial collaboration with FOH staff and management.
- Executive level reporting to ownership.
- Daily opening and closing management duties.
Job Knowledge & Education Requirements
- 5+ years of Chef or Sous Chef experience
- Proven leadership traits.
- Flexible schedule with ability to work 50+ hour work weeks, including nights, weekends, holidays.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational & communication skills.
- A passion for food, beer, wine, and the hospitality industry.
- Ability to contribute to a wide variety of management tasks & operations beyond the kitchen; including marketing, private party organization, community outreach, staff recognition programs, staff education programs, and much more.
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel; proficient with standard POS and CRM systems (specifically Revel is a plus)
- Ability to pair foods with appropriate fermented beverages.
Extra consideration to those who possess:
- Prior Gastro-Pub experience.
- Experience restaurant operations.
- Previous experience with small plates.
- Strong beer & wine knowledge. Cicerone or Sommelier preferred. Cicerone training will be required after hire.
- Efficiency with Google programs (Gmail, Docs, Calendar, Drive, Sheets).
Skills & Aptitudes
- Detailed orientated.
- Personable with strong communication skills.
- Well-groomed and professionally presentable.
- Familiarity with most beer styles and ability to describe them.
- Organized and efficient with all aspects of working operations.
- High quality professional standards for service and execution of all work-related tasks.
- Problem solving and team first mentality.
- Courteous and respectful to all guests and fellow staff members.
Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
Must be able to maintain composure and professional appearance for up to and sometimes exceeding 8 hour shifts.
Ability to stay on feet for entire shift (8+) hours.
Ability to handle hot food plates in an effective and timely manner.
Must be able to move seamlessly within the taproom in cohesion with several other staff members without interrupting or interfering with guest experience.
Impact of Decision Making
Your decisions directly impact the public image of the BottleTaps. Poor decisions may result in customer dissatisfaction and loss of revenues due to unprofessional manner, lack of product knowledge, unsafe work practices, or improperly handled customer service.
The following performance attributes are required:
- Properly handles customer service expectations to ensure they’re met or exceeded.
- Properly conveys product knowledge.
- Effectively leads all staff members of the Taproom.
- Demonstrates leadership by example on a consistent basis.
- Contributes to strengthening the integrity and reputation of BottleTaps thus directly contributing to the bottom line revenue and profitability of the taproom.